Klis fortress is in the immediate vicinity of Split. Construction of fortress is framed in the 16th century, with lots of layers that suggesting successive upgrades. The fortress is self-sufficient on its own ghat. It’s forgotten and – tragically – most of the visitors of Split are completely unknown about this cultural monument, for which they have just “heard” and are looking at it only in passing by the highway.
Here are the proposals for a low budget cultural excursion with an ecological aspect: staying at altitude and clear air.
Walk around Klis fortress is a small time machine. Klis fortress is open to visitors from 10 am to 4 pm in the winter and in the summer all day till dark. Entry is symbolic 40 kunas and half less for children. This is a good investment in educational, ecological and exciting two or three hours that you’ll spend here.
Klis has always been one of the main targets of great forces. One of them being Ottomans Empire and Illyrs. All of them thought that after capturing Klis the door to the rest of Croatia will be open for attacks and conquest.
Even before new era, and Croats, the Klis territory was in strong leadership and settled with Illyrian tribe Delmats. The fortress was probably built on the foundation of Illyrians from the 2nd century BC.
The first mention of the Klis fortress was in the 10th century and describing the scene from the 7th century when Avars and Slavs fraudulently occupied the Roman fort Klis and by that help conquest the city of Salona.
In the 9th century, Klis was the seat of the kings and royal family Trpimirovic. In that sense, Klis was the capital city. Later on, it was in the hands of feuds and dukes of Croatia.
By the end of 13th century, Klis was under command of one of the most powerful families that ever ruled Croatia, the royal family of Subic. They ruled over 50 years and in that time the Klis was at peace with other.
The most violent incidents in Klis’s history were in the 16th century during Ottomans when army overrun on Croatian territory and against the Croatian people. The fortress was taken the first time in centuries-long history and it was the only thing that separated Osmans from other Croatian cities. But in 1596 only a handful of Croats, with an element of surprise, took the fortress back. The win was short lived and soon the Osmans prepared an anti-attack and after two months of siege, Osmans took the fortress back.
Finally, the fortress was free of Osmans in the year 1648, in a ten-day war where ten thousand of Venetian soldiers came to conquest the Klis which was defended by only a thousand Osman soldiers. After winning Klis over, the Republic of Venice had its biggest peak in history.
Later on, Klis was under command of France and Austria-Hungary. In the year 1990, Klis, with the rest of Dalmatia and Croatia, becomes one of many fortresses and cities with the flag of independent Republica of Croatia.
First and the main entrance of Klis fortress was built in 19th century, the time of Austrian-Hungarian rule. Before that entrance was built in exact same place was an entrance that was built in the time of Republica of Venice.
The position of Avanzato was built by Venetians in 1648 and till the middle of 13th century was rebuilt many times. Inside its first floor is a narrow corridor.
Oprah tower was the most important Middle Age strongholds of the west wing in the fortress. The first mention of this tower was in the year 1355. Venice in many ways tried and rebuilt the tower.
The second entrance was used in the Middle Ages, and in the siege, in the year 1648, was hardly damaged. Venice rebuilt it, but today looks like it is from the 19th century.
Artillery Barracks was built by Austrians in early 1920’s. In the year 1931, the first floor was completely demolished and today is preserved only the ground level of the Artillery Barracks.
The Duke’s House was built by Venetians in the middle of the 17th century on basis of buildings from one of the oldest Croatian rulers and Klis Duke’s. This was firstly built for Duke and its family to live there. Later on Venetians accommodated this building for a command center and engineering.
The Church of St. Vitus was built in the third defensive wall of the Klis fortress and was almost completely preserved. It’s well known that there, where was an early Christian Catholic Church, Turks after conquering of Klis in 1537 built a mosque with dome and minaret. The Venetians pulled down the minaret and converted it into Roman Catholic Church immediately after liberation from the Turks in 1648 and devoted to St. Vitus.
Fortress has achieved its greatest popularity in recent years thanks to the Game of Thrones, TV series, whose fourth season was shooted at this location. Game of Thrones has greatly contributed to the popularity of this site and Central Dalmatia in general.
The fact that Klis fortress is in the immediate vicinity of Split, which is in fact, the suburb of this great Mediterranean city, contribute Klis because of its connection with the rest of the cultural and historical tourist offer, and Sibenik or Trogir is not far away, also. The next time when you visit Split or Trogir, Sibenik and Omis, make sure to include this beautiful location in your planner.
For more info about the Klis fortress visit the link http://www.tvrdavaklis.com/